16 December 2007

512

When Mom and Dad moved out of the family home, I snatched a few things...
  • I have the dinner bell that hung in the back patio next to the kitchen window
  • I have the all-electric-home medallion that hung above the doorbell
  • My biggest score was the sign from the front yard lamppost....
When I took down the lamppost sign, in my heart I hoped that someday a McDonell - me! - would be putting it back in its rightful place. The last owner contacted me a few years ago when he was selling the house, but no way could I afford what he was asking. Who knows? Maybe it'll come back on the market at a price that Mary and I can afford.

Worse case scenario: I also have the original, complete blueprints so I guess I could just rebuild the house somewhere else someday. I also have Milo's original sketch of the swimming pool, so I can make a fake of that, too. But what would really be cool is to own the real thing - my family's old homestead.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, i miss it too dad. i wish i had more memories there! but maybe when all your kids are rich and famous we can buy back that house, and who knows, build copies in a few places?? jk... nothin's like the original. :)

Totally Hess said...

I drive by 512 many times everyday and it always breaks my heart! I think about that house all the time with the same regrets - why didn't I just try harder to qualify for a loan and buy it. I also contacted that last owner but could not afford the asking price -I think the family that moved in paid over $1million. They have not done much to the house and there aren't even pictures hanging on many of the walls. There are three boys living there and a basketball hoop in the drive way. Maybe we should do a family Domenicos night and a walk-thru of 512. I'm glad you saved those items, I remember every one. I also remember all the fun times in the pool and always feeling so happy in comfortable in that house.

papa bill said...

I love the way the family has such fond memories of 512 Santiago. So did Mom and so do I. Thanks Scott for the blog. Dad

michele said...

So cool that you have the blueprints and sketch of the pool. My kids still talk about 512 - how cool would it be to have it back in the fam?

kEllY said...

That was the best house in the world! I loved everything about it and wish I could live there. I think a "fake" of the house and pool would be great! Come build it in Temecula!!

michele said...

Hey, maybe the next house David builds up here ... Would you let us use the plans?

michele said...

Better yet, move up here and build it yourselves! Yay!