13 October 2008

Michele's Chorizo Chili

If I had my way, I'd cook everything over
charcoal on my Weber barbecue.
Yesterday, Mary and I decided to do Michele's chorizo chili, using the Dutch Oven that Claire gave me. Just had to blog and brag on how amazing it turned out.

Step 1
Dutch oven on top of the hot coals, cook the chorizo well...
Step 2
Remove chorizo then cook the hamburger and onions in its grease...
Side Note
Mary and I grind our own meat for hamburgers and tacos and such. This blend was off-the-hook good - tri-tip beef with lean pork ground up and mixed together!

Step 3
Dump the chorizo back in, add the spices, tomatoes, tomato paste and Pabst Blue Ribbon (or ginger ale, if you prefer), then set on grill with coals spread around the outside of the Dutch oven. Cover and let simmer/cook for about an hour, stirring from time to time. I also added about 12 fresh coals around the outside of the Dutch oven after about 30 minutes. By the way, leave off the cover to the Weber...
Step 4
Dump in the beans with their water, let simmer for about another 1/2 hour. Wrap some tortillas in foil and place on top of the Dutch oven during this time.
Finished Product!

3 comments:

papa bill said...

Wow!!! What a project. I have been thinking of what I could have for dinner on this Columbus Day, so I will do my best to have chili. (Out of a can with some pieces of summer sausage cut in it) As I eat I will think of how much I would rather have "Michele's Chorizo Chili" prepared by my Mary and my Scott. Luv ya guys.

Totally Hess said...

You guys are serious chili makers! How in the world do you grind your own meat? I think after tasting your chili my kids would probably stop eating mine, which is the recipe in Grandma's cookbook, which is the recipe off of the back of the chili seasoning packet. Much easier, but no where near as good as what you made.

michele said...

Well, good on you for doing us one better and doing the whole thing on the Weber. David is inspired now to try this although he still will use a seared tri tip as his beef. That looks amazingly good!