22 October 2008

RIP Uncle Mike

Phillip Michael Whitwell
July 31, 1948 - October 15, 2008

Our first anniversary was one of celebration and sadness. Celebration because Scott and I finished our first year together - the happiest year of our lives, but sadness because my Uncle Mike passed away last week.

On Monday, our anniversary, an exact year to the day that Uncle Mike blessed our marriage, we attended his viewing, and yesterday he was buried.

He was adopted as a baby by my Grandparents, and was adored by his sisters Felicia (my Mother) and Fran. His ministry touched thousands of lives and included two trips to China in recent years. His memorial service was attended by hundreds of people, all who were touched by his goodness and generosity. He will be missed greatly, but we all rejoice that he is at peace in heaven now.

To view Uncle Mike's memorial, click here. On the right side of that page, click on the images or movie links to view photos of Uncle Mike, Aunt Rose and their family.

RIP Uncle Mike - We Love You!

4 comments:

Claire said...

oh that was so beautiful... i'm so sorry that he is gone, but i'm so happy to have met him. his memory will live on in his family and all those many hundreds of people he taught. i feel blessed to know such people are a part of my family.
love you both so much!

papa bill said...

Mary: I am so sad for you and your Mom and others in your family. I know that Scott has a great fondness and love for your family, as do I, especially Felecia, and although I only met Uncle Mike on your wedding day he impressed me a lot. Sorry for your loss, Love, Dad

michele said...

I am so sorry to hear this. Was this sudden? Let's all remember how precious and short life can be. He was so great officiating at your wedding. And Happy Anniversary to you as well even at this sad time.

Rachel Johnson said...

What sad news. We met him at your wedding and were very impressed. He was such a nice person.