03 February 2009

Lovely Ladies of Long Beach

I had some special experiences in December when I met two very lovely ladies.

On Saturday, December 6th, Scott and I went to the Long Beach Motorcycle Show, then headed over to Bro Randy's house to hang before going to the Belmont Shore Christmas Parade. Randy lives just around the corner from a long-time McDonell family friend, Fanie Daly, whom I had not met until that day. We walked over to her home where she welcomed us both with big hugs. What an amazing, lovely lady. She's in her 80's and looks 20 years younger - so full of life and energy. I enjoyed listening to her and Scott reminisce about the many years their families did things together in Long Beach, as well as her fond memories of Joyce and Bill and all of the children. She seemed especially fond of Scott and wanted to be sure I know what a lucky woman I am - which I assured her I do!

Sunday the 7th was another full day of visiting old friends and celebrating the holidays. We headed back to Long Beach for a get-together with several of Scott's high school friends hosted by Scott Anderson, who still lives next door to his parents on Winslow. We had fun catching up with Bob Whitney and Dave Okura, and I met a few more of Scott's classmates. The highlight of the afternoon for me, however, was meeting Scott Anderson's Mom.

Mrs. Anderson, another absolutely lovely lady, knew Joyce very well from serving on the PTA with her for many years. I told her that I never had the privilege of meeting Scott's Mom in person and she jumped at the opportunity to tell me all about her wonderful memories of Joyce. She told me that Joyce was the nicest person there could be and that Joyce never said a bad word about anyone or anything. She couldn't say enough wonderful things about Joyce. Mrs. Anderson was so warm and genuine while she told me about Joyce and she really wanted me to understand just how special Scott's Mom was. I felt a bond with Mrs. Anderson through her love of Joyce and her desire to want me to know that.


We sure do spend a lot of time in Long Beach, don't we? We've often talked about moving back there. Hmmm....stay tuned!

1 comment:

Totally Hess said...

So sad we missed you that weekend! Next time you are so close drop bye and say hello!

I'm anxiously awaiting more big news !