28 February 2009

New Home Teaser - My Favorite Room

We're still settling into our new Long Beach home and we still have lots of unpacking and room arranging to do, but I wanted to tease everyone with some pics of my favorite room - the dining room.

From the entry, an arched doorway leads into the huge formal dining room. The morning sunlight comes through the windows and falls beautifully across the room.



This home was built in the 1920's and has some amazing features. There was a call system set up throughout the home, including the dining room, where there is a button in the center of the dining room floor you could press with your foot to ring the butler!



The dining room is large enough for my Grandparents' table. This dining room set belonged to my Father's parents (the Allgaiers). I am finally able to use beautiful family linens that have been in a cedar chest for decades. The table is the perfect length for Scott's Grandma Rife's banquet linen and my Grandma Mary's tablecloth which she crocheted herself as a gift to me over 25 years ago. A built-in mahogany cabinet displays my Great Aunt's china, my Mother's silver, Claire's and Abbie's Lladro, and various pieces of family crystal.



This view from the living room through an arched walkway shows how our 8' x 12' rug fits perfectly under the table, and there is still so much room! The doorway in the background leads to a breakfast nook.



More family heirlooms finally on display! Scott brought these beautiful Lladro home from Spain 30 years ago for his Mother, and she gave them to Abbie and Claire.

Click here to see more photos, and come by and visit soon to see the entire house in person!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww looks SO beautiful Mars! can't wait to see the rest asap! wish it was now. love you and miss you guys soooooooooo much!

michele said...

This is awesome! I love old LB houses - they are so cool. Love the hardwood floors and the fact that you have space for all your lovely heirlooms. And I wish I had a breakfast nook. Can't wait to come see the rest! Love you!

papa bill said...

How great it is. Hope I get to see your place sometime. Enjoy your new home. Love you guys a whole bunch Dad

Alysson and Abbie Castro said...

Wow, Mary that looks gorgeous!!! I love how the sun comes in the windows!!! It's going to be a beautiful home!! Can't wait to see more pictures of the rest and to see it in person!! ...Dad said something about the ghetto couch being gone... which couch? did you get a new one?? LOVE YOU!!!!!! XXXXOOOO

Rachel Johnson said...

Can't wait to see more pictures of the house. I love all of the character of old Long Beach houses. So exciting!

Totally Hess said...

Love the house and I am so glad you guys are close! Wyatt wanted to come over on Monday to borrow some Wii games, but thought he should wait a few days since we saw you on Saturday and Sunday! Thanks for the brownies and I'll let you know what time the boys baseball games are this weekend!

Unknown said...

awesome! I can't wait :D

Abbie said...

I hope you took pictures of your Easter Dinner party!! post post post post post!! Also don't forget to take 360 degrees panoramic shots of every room!! hehe love u guys too much xoxooxxoox